Thursday, January 7, 2016

Turning Over A New Leaf.

As I sit here watching my seventh straight episode of Making a Murderer I felt compelled to take some time to write down my thoughts. No, not about the perceived injustices of Steven Avery, but something that I have needed to get off my chest:

I am not one to go on various forms of social media, and stand on my virtual soapbox to vent my frustrations or concerns on personal, social, or political matters. However, after the past few weeks, even months, I finally felt the need to some soul-searching and decided that it was time to reach out and ask for a helping hand.

Those that know I know that I can come off, at times, as standoffish or closed off. Whether it's personal matters or day-to-day issues I do come across as reserved. I am currently working on this.



The above picture was how I felt back in October when I found out that I would have to start looking for new employment. Being a creature of habit the thought of change did give me some worry, however I felt okay with the situation. I was confident, excited, and grateful for the opportunity of a fresh start. The situation also provided me with the necessary kick-start to my path of looking for a career rather than simply a job (Journey of the Broke, right, Prof. King?). 




However, after the past couple weeks the above picture pretty much sums up my feelings at the moment regarding my job search. It's hard for me to admit, finally, but I am completely lost. A lot has changed since the Spring/Summer of 2009. I have no idea where to start. I have no idea what skills I need to update so I can set myself apart from the pack. I have no idea what companies and employers are looking for. And the list could go on, and on, and on....

Which leads me back to why I am sitting here staring at my laptop screen typing this post out: I am FINALLY admitting that I have no idea what I'm doing. I am a very prideful person, so it is extremely difficult to type that sentence out. I finally admit that the majority of the people that I went to high school and college which have been far more mature and better at this whole "adult" thing than I have been. 

Maybe with my birthday just passing, and the growing number of grey hairs coming in finally flipped the switch to grow up and act my age.

Any advice, guidance, suggestions, recommendations, hell, even a finger in the right direction on whatever I need to do to accomplish this. What does my resume need to stand out from the rest? Is brushing up on Photoshop and Illustrator enough? What other skills/characteristics do I need a refresher on or learn? What websites/blogs/books should I get familiar with since my days at UIC? At this point if you have a copy of Photoshop/Illustrator laying around that would be a great help.




I know my timing may seem to be random and out of no where. As random as Ric Flair chopping you out of nowhere. This is a process I should have gone through when I graduated in 2009, however I think I needed some growing up to do. Now I feel I am fully prepared to finally act my age.

At the beginning of last year someone that I care a great deal about asked me to answer a few questions. They told me to sit down and take some time to answer them. To the point they wound't speak to me until I sent my answers in. These ranged from my plans in the present to where I saw myself in 5-10 years. I did not take that as seriously as I should have, and I truly regret that.

Now, I see that it is vital to take those types of things seriously. Sit down, think, plan, and map out a path of success in order to accomplish any goal you hope you achieve.

Thanks to everyone in advance that takes the time to read these ramblings, haha. It it much appreciated.




Hey, it only took me a little over a year to finally smarten up, eh?

BM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get In Touch